Volunteering as a family provides children with a great start on civic engagement, and kids who volunteer are more likely to continue volunteering as adults and carry on the tradition with their own children!
Five great reasons to volunteer as a family:
Volunteering with your kids can be...
- a chance to make new friends
- a good workout
- a way to pass along your values
- an opportunity to learn new skills
- fun and inspiring
Creative family volunteering ideas:
- Grow a garden and donate the harvest to a food pantry or a neighbor in need.
- Have kids pick out one personal care item a week at the store, then donate items at the end of the month.
- Decorate cards and send cheerful messages to residents at local senior living facilities
- Bake bread or treats to share with your neighborhood fire or police station.
- Collect pop cans and donate the proceeds to your favorite nonprofit.
- Pick up litter in your neighborhood.
Anyone under the age of 18 who participates in volunteer opportunities found via The Volunteer Center online matching system (found at http://connect.volunteercentergr.org/) will need a signed parental consent form. Click here to download.